General Authority for Awqaf Overview:
The General Authority of Awqaf is a legal person, having a financial and administrative independence, and linked to the Prime Minister, and having its headquarters in Riyadh.
The purpose for which the Authority was established:
Enhancing the role of endowments in economic and social development and social solidarity.
Origin and Foundation:
Stages of the systemic development of endowments in the Kingdom:
1381 AH; 1962 AD - The establishment of the Ministry of Hajj and Endowments.
1386 AH; 1966 AD - The Supreme Council of Endowments Law was issued.
1393 AH; 1973 AD - The Charitable Endowment Act was issued.
1414 AH; 1994 AD - The Royal Decree stipulating the establishment of the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Dawah and Guidance was issued.
1431 AH; 2010 AD - The establishment of the General Authority for Awqaf and abolishing the Deputy Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Dawah and Guidance for Endowments Affairs.
1437 AH; 2016 AD - The Law of the General Authority for Awqaf was issued.
The Objectives of the General Authority for Awqaf:
The Authority aims to regulate, maintain, and develop endowments, in order to realize the Donor Conditions, and to enhance its role in economic and social development and social solidarity, in accordance with the objectives of Islamic law and regulations.
The Functions of the General Authority for Awqaf:
1. Regulatory supervision of the Trusteeship works and take statutory action to realize the Donor Condition without interfering in the Trusteeship works.
2. Approval of request to establish public and hybrid endowments that are funded by fundraising.
3. Trusteeship of public, private and hybrid endowments, unless the Donor requests that the Trustee shall be an entity or person other than the Authority.
4. Registration of all endowments in the Kingdom.
5. Managing the endowments that have a Trustee other than the Authority, based on the Trustee request.
6. Take the necessary measures to benefit from the movable and immovable endowment properties outside the Kingdom, on a charitable basis inside the Kingdom.
7. Inventorying the endowments properties and establishing a general database for the latter.
8. Take the necessary measures to develop the endowment work.
9. Developing existing Endowment formulas and creating new endowment formulas.
10. Disbursing the endowments’ income according to the purpose of the endowment.
11. Establishing endowment projects, as well as developing and maintaining endowments.
12. Contributing to economic and social development.